Ph.D., Political Science, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
M.C.P., Massachusetts Institute of Technology
B.A., Lincoln University
Agenda setting and policy formulation, welfare policy, bureaucratic politics, political labeling and symbolic politics
“The Politics-Administration Continuum in American State Governments: Administrative Accountability as a Positive-Sum Pattern,” with Deil S. Wright. Current Topics in Management, vol. 15 (2011).
“Managing the Gap: Evaluating the Impact of Medicaid Managed Care on Preventive Care Receipt by Child and Adolescent Minority Populations,” with Todd Eberly and Amy Davidoff. Journal of Health Care for the Poor and Underserved, vol. 21 no. 1 (2010).
“Who’s Minding Which Store? Institutional and Other Actors’ Influence on Administrative Rulemaking in State Agencies, 1978-2004,” with Deil S. Wright. Public Administration Quarterly, vol. 33 no. 3 (2009).
Experience and Honors
- Certified Maryland Mediator
- Former Associate Dean of the College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences, UMBC
- Former Chair of Political Science Department, UMBC
- UMBC President’s Commission for Women Achievement Award
- Editorial Board, Public Administration Review
- Academic Advisory Board, Congressional Black Caucus Foundation
- Fannie Lou Hamer Award for Distinguished Community Service, National Association of Black Political Scientists
- Congressional Fellow, American Political Science Association
- Legislative Assistant, Office of Representative Edolphus Towns (D-NY), Washington, D.C.
- Professional Staff, Senate Special Committee on Aging, Majority Staff, Senator William Cohen (R-ME), Chair, Washington, DC
- Faculty Consultant, Training Institute, United States General Accounting Office (now Government Accountability Office), Washington, D.C.
- Visiting Scholar, Research Division, Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies, Washington, DC