Being the Change: Exploring a Career in Public Policy
Tuesday, March 12, 2019
9:30 am – 4:30 pm
Albin O. Kuhn Library and Gallery – UMBC, 7th Floor
PLEASE NOTE: TO RECEIVE TRAVEL SUBSIDIES, REGISTER BY Friday, March 1st
The 2019 APPAM (Association of Public Policy Analysis and Management) / School of Public Policy at UMBC Policy Camp is designed for promising undergraduate (sophomore – senior) students of from underrepresented groups who want to make a difference in their communities. We invite you to be our guests for a one-day Public Policy Camp. Registration is FREE.
Having diverse perspectives at the policy table leads to better, more effective and inclusive, public policy.
Who Should Attend? YOU!
- You share a commitment to making the world and your community a better place.
- You want your voice heard through the chaos that surrounds current public policy debates.
- You are politically active yet frustrated in your attempts to transform your ideals into real policy solutions.
- You want to learn how to engage in the public policy process and about how public policies shape the daily lives of people and communities.
Policy Camp participants will:
- Engage with students from across the Mid-Atlantic region, UMBC Public Policy faculty and our alumni on public and social issues.
- Learn about the skills that can transform social activism into good public policy.
- Meet leaders who live and work in the policy field.
- Explore the career possibilities gained by having a public policy and administration skill set
REGISTRATION IS FREE.
Parking is free and travel subsidies will be available to students taking public transportation.
Students are encouraged to coordinate travel with other policy camp participants attending from their campus.
The Public Policy Camp is an APPAM initiative aimed at introducing the field of public policy to a group of students who might not otherwise be familiar with it, and increasing the pipeline of diverse students into APPAM institutional member graduate public policy and public affairs schools. The School of Public Policy at UMBC is both pleased and honored to partner with APPAM to host a 2019 Policy Camp in support of this vital mission.
We know that only by having all voices at the table can we be successful in our efforts of improving critical public policies for all.