Urban issues, environmental concerns and cartographic representation
In the News
Dr. Short was interviewed in the Columbian newspaper ADN Cali (in Spanish) read now
Ph.D., University of Bristol
M.A., Geography, University of Aberdeen
“Attracting wealth: crafting immigration policy to attract the rich,” in the Handbook of Wealth and the Super-Rich. Edited by Iain Hay and Jonathan V. Beaverstock (2016, Elgar).
“The informal economy of cities in the South: The case of Cali, Colombia,” with Lina Martinez, PhD ’12. International Journal of Sustainable Development and Planning (2017, vol 12, issue 4).
“The modern national atlas,” The Portolan (2016, issue 97).
“A perfect storm: climate change, the power grid and regulatory regime change after network failure,” Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy (2016, vol 34, no 2).
“City Marketing,” International Encyclopedia of the Social & Behavioral Sciences (February 2015, Elsevier).
Human Geography: A Short Introduction. Oxford University Press (2014).
Stress Testing The USA: Public Policy and Reaction to Disaster Events. Palgrave Macmillan (2013).
Cities and Nature 2nd ed. revised and enlarged, with Lisa Benton-Short. Routledge (2012).
Globalization, Modernity and the City. Routledge (2012)
Experience and Honors
- Professor and Chair, Geography and Environmental Systems, UMBC
- Professor of Geography, Maxwell School of Public Affairs and Citizenship, Syracuse University
- Helen and John S. Best Fellowship. American Geographical Society Library, University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
- The Leverhulme Visiting Professorship to UK, Loughborough University
- Alexander O. Vietor Fellowship in Cartography, Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript, Library, Yale University