Skip to Main Content


studentsIf you are an undergraduate at UMBC with an interest in public service and the public policy process,consider continuing your education at UMBC after completing your Bachelor’s degree by earning a Master of Public Policy (M.P.P.) through the Accelerated Pathways Program.

Download a flier about the Accelerated Pathways Program

M.P.P. students study the critical problems of our society and learn how to identify and implement solutions. The coursework provides students with the tools to develop and analyze public policies and influence the public policy process.

M.P.P. students take a set of core courses and specialized courses in one of 7 tracks: education policy, environmental policy, evaluation and analytical methods, health policy, public management, urban policy, or economic policy.

The Accelerated Pathways Program
The M.P.P. degree requires 37 course credits, an internship, and the writing of a policy analysis paper. Once accepted into the B.A./M.P.P. program, you may take graduate courses as an undergraduate. Up to 12 hours of graduate courses can be counted toward both the B.A. and the M.P.P. The Graduate Record Examination (GRE) is usually waived for Accelerated Pathways students.

In the Accelerated Pathways Program, you coordinate with your undergraduate advisor in your major and an advisor from the School of Public Policy to develop a curriculum to complete the Bachelor’s and the M.P.P. Here are examples of the core courses you would take as a senior in the program:

PUBL 600 Research Methodology
PUBL 601 Political and Social Context of the Policy Process
PUBL 603 Theory and Practice of Policy Analysis
PUBL 604 Statistical Analysis
PUBL 613 Managing Public Organizations
PUBL 623 Governmental Budgeting

How to Apply
You must have a strong academic record to gain admission to this program. Plan to apply for admission by the second semester of your junior year. You will need:
• Unofficial transcript
• Statement of goals
• Letters of recommendation from professors
• Your resume, and
Application for the Accelerated Bachelor’s/Master’s Program

Submit all of these documents to the School of Public Policy. For more information, contact: Sally Helms, Administrator of Academic Affairs, School of Public Policy, Public Policy Building, Room 407 (410-455-3202, helms@umbc.ed).